Many Americans suffer from back pain every day, resulting in issues with day-to-day activities. It has been found that four in five people suffer from a painful back. In this article we will be reviewing and discussing the top common causes of back pain in people everywhere.
Common Causes of Back Pain
There are several reasons why back pain becomes prevalent in some bodies. Physical activities, jobs, daily stresses of life can all play into the risk of having to deal with some sort of back pain. Most back pain is caused by muscle or tendon strains or injury from overuse, excessive lifting or an accident such as a car accident. Below are some of the most common causes of back pain:
- Doing Activities You Normally Do Not Do During The Week – Many people injure their backs by taking on new activities that they normally do not do on a regular basis. For example, a weekend volleyball game or a day of tennis can be risky for those who do not typically train or work in similar high-paced and impact jobs. The misconception lies in the thought process that they are an athlete and believe that they are capable of playing like a professional. Because of this, they become sufferers of back pain and injury.
- Excessive Lifting – Those who work in high paced jobs that require consistent lifting are at risk of developing some form of back pain. Bending and lifting in ways that do not support the back are risky and dangerous. There are several considerations that should be incorporated when lifting including:
- Bending with the knees and keeping the back straight
- Bend at the waist and not from the back
- Keep the heavy item at shoulder level or higher than the knees
- Avoid twisting or turning while lifting
- Change direction with the feet and not the waist
- Daily Activities – Simple day-to-day tasks can put additional strain on your back without you even knowing it. For example, sitting at your computer with poor posture can result in stressing the muscles in the back. Also, other dangerous activities may include loading the dishwasher, driving a car or picking a pen up off of the floor.
There are many activities that can strain and hurt your back causing chronic back pain. It is important to keep your abdominal muscles engaged when lifting or sitting for a long time to protect your back. Supporting your back and being aware of the risks and dangers will better equip you to understand how to reduce your chances of suffering from back pain.
Have you ever been a victim of chronic back pain? How did it happen and what did you do to relieve the pain? Share your thoughts, experiences and comments below in the box.